As Palmetto Promise Institute (PPI) prepares to celebrate its 10th anniversary, the organization is looking for a President and CEO to lead PPI boldly into its next decade. The search was launched after PPI’s founding President and CEO was elected South Carolina State Superintendent of Education. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced leader prepared to take a well-respected organization to the next level.
The President and CEO will serve as the public face and driving force of the organization, responsible for casting a compelling vision for PPI that builds on the organization’s strong foundation, while looking to the future. The right candidate will be passionately dedicated to advancing a free and flourishing South Carolina, where every individual has the opportunity to reach their full, God-given potential.
The new leader will be responsible for expanding the organization’s strong network of supporters and allies; nurturing and growing a talented team; and fostering a culture of policy innovation and engagement that advances sound policy solutions.
The President and CEO will be based in South Carolina. The job is ideally located in the organization’s Columbia, SC office, but the Board may consider a flexible work arrangement for an outstanding candidate prepared to live elsewhere in SC, provided they are willing to travel to Columbia on a regular basis.
- Vision & Strategy: Working in partnership with the Board, the President and CEO will develop and implement the vision and strategy for the organization, including long-term and strategic planning related to the organization’s growth and priorities.
- Fundraising: The President and CEO will develop and implement the fundraising strategy and serve as the chief fundraiser. This includes making personal appeals to donors and prospects, as well as overseeing the preparation and presentation of grant requests, donor database maintenance, and new prospect identification.
- Public Policy: The President and CEO will be responsible for overseeing the organization’s research projects and publications, ensuring work of the highest quality.
- Networking: The President and CEO will be responsible for expanding a robust network of supporters and allies within South Carolina and nationally. They must be comfortable working in the political sphere, while remaining dedicated to policy, not politics. The President and CEO will build effective relationships with key media contacts, policymakers, governmental officials, educators, allied organizations, and others as appropriate.
- Marketing & Communications: The President and CEO will effectively and persuasively communicate with various audiences and will serve as a key spokesperson for PPI and its policy solutions. They will partner with staff and contract communications experts to develop and implement an effective media strategy. They will ensure the organization maintains an effective website and social media presence.
- Organizational Management: The President and CEO will oversee the hiring, training, management, and evaluation of staff. They will direct all budgetary planning and fiscal management for the organization, including reporting regularly to the Board about the financial health of the organization. The President and CEO will work with the Board to identify, recruit, and develop effective Board members.
- Drive, Determination, Initiative, Commitment to Excellence
- Strategic Thinking, Entrepreneurial Attitude
- Curiosity, Growth Mindset, Intellectual Creativity
- Integrity, Humility, and Kindness
The Ideal Candidate
- Absolute commitment to the mission and principles of Palmetto Promise Institute, including limited government, free markets, free enterprise, and personal responsibility.
- An understanding of the people, public policy, and political dynamics that affect and effect change within a state; existing relationships/knowledge of/experience in South Carolina preferred but not required.
- 10+ years of work experience, including 5+ years in a management position (either running an organization or serving as a senior management team member at an organization) and 5+ years of experience in the public policy arena.
- Strong experience in fundraising, outreach, external relations, or similar arenas preferred; willingness to spend a significant portion of time engaged in fundraising activities and “make the ask” on a regular basis.
- Vision to take PPI to the next level of influence and effectiveness.
- Exceptional communication skills (both written and verbal), strong relationship-building skills, and an engaging personality.
- Willingness to travel (estimated travel: 20-25% – Mostly in-state)
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position and PPI’s mission; a detailed explanation of why you would be the right candidate for this position, including your vision for what an innovative state-based policy organization should be; and desired salary range.
- A list of at least three professional references (including a brief description of your relationship to each reference) who would be willing to attest to your personal and professional qualifications for this position.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link.
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.