The Best Day Ever!
Thanks to your help, National School Choice Week was a smashing success! Nearly 3,000 students, teachers, and legislators enjoyed a day full of singing, dancing, and engaging with other #SchoolChoice advocates. Here’s a fun video and a few inspirational quotes from the attendees:
- “It opens up our minds to new ideas, and it allows us to experience new possibilities.” – Jennifer Dunlap, student at Richland One Middle College
- “Our school is small, but the teachers are able to spend more one on one time making sure you understand something.” – Rebekah, student at Spartanburg Preparatory School
- “Children have the right to go the school that’s best for them.” – Addie, student at St. Joseph Catholic School
- “I want to be able to place my children where their needs are met best.” – Jennifer Gilley, parent of a Spartanburg Preparatory School student
- “It allows children/parents/families to choose what works for the student and their education.” – Jacqueline Cochran, teacher/leader at Horse Creek Academy
Not only did we hear some great things from students, teachers, and school leaders, the My SC Education Rally had a HUGE impact! Here are just a few highlights:
- An OpEd sharing real student stories published in both the Greenville and Charleston papers.
- Solid news coverage of our largest ever My SC Education Rally – featuring nearly 3,000 attendees – in media markets around the state.
- Rally participation by Lieutenant Governor Henry McMaster, Superintendent of Education Molly Spearman, and attendance by Attorney General Alan Wilson, Secretary of State Mark Hammond, and multiple legislators.
- Official proclamations from Governor Nikki Haley, Greenville Mayor Knox White and Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin.
- SC Senate resolution sponsored by SC Senator Larry Grooms.
- Congressional Record entry from U.S. Senator Tim Scott.
- A school choice hearing facilitated by Sen. Larry Grooms & Rep. Jeff Bradley.